Since the beginning of time people have needed motivation in order to do anything. It’s in our nature! Where do we find this motivation? Here are some personal development tips on motivation.
In the early times, the motivation people had was simple and direct, coming from the basic needs of a human being. We all know Maslow’s theory, that the needs of a human being can be represented in the following pyramid.
However, with time these needs have stopped impacting the human being as much as before. Why? Because satisfying those needs is getting easier and easier. For example, just think of the lowest two. We have laws that make the fulfillment of those two not only possible but mandatory.
The top three are still relatively hard to maintain at a safe level, since those need certain actions, or responses from the people around us.
Probably the need that gives all of us the highest level of motivation is Esteem, as all people are trying to make a mark, achieve something, be respected.
However, being unable to fulfill other needs, we tend to fall into a depression, losing the “hope”. I know it is not a scientific term, but that is the nasty bug that kills our motivation.
Things you find yourself saying when you lose motivation:
- “Why should I even do this? It matters to no one”;
- “I can’t do this”;
- “I am useless”;
- “This won’t work out as planned”;
- “I should just quit, it won’t bring any results”;
If you are here, you probably have said one of these at least once. Now please, read them out loud and realize how incredibly stupid they sound.
You are the builder and creator of your own self. If you do not believe in yourself, your thoughts will destroy the person you might have been.
Personal development studies found out where you should look for motivation:
- do you really believe you cannot do it, or you are just discouraged because of the impossibility of satisfying another need?
- if you had the courage to try and fail, you are most certainly capable of rising after a fall.
- if everyone else believes in you, you should believe in yourself as well
- if no one believes you can do it, believe in yourself even harder
We created time notion so we don’t lose it by doing nothing. Get up and do something! Enjoy a positive life with all those positive people you are ignoring!